Q: Places to take my girlfriend on a date? Haven’t got much money and parents don’t like me using the car, but I don’t want to stick with just the movie dates and dinner. She’s something special.
A: If you’re below the age of twenty one, that’s a sweet question even if you’re the one lacking imagination. If you’re over that age, you’re a loser and my only advice is directed to your girlfriend: Run and don’t look back.
Anyway, there are plenty of ways to celebrate romance that are pretty cheap and should make her smile. Of course, I don’t do the simple ‘take her on a picnic’, wouldn’t have this job if I were as unimaginative and half of the people that ask the questions.
1) Build a fort: C’mon, everyone loves the special dens and forts we had as kids. Build the thing out of pillows or twigs, then huddle inside and just talk. I mean, what place is more cosy and private than the inside of a specially built fort? The sense of secrecy and nostalgia can’t be matched and acting like kids is never awkward or uncomfortable.
2) Science museum: Not just any dusty science museum; a kid’s science museum. There’s the running theme of nostalgia, but if either one of you enjoy science it’s a way to have fun, learn and show off some knowledge. Lots of kids learning places are free too.
3) Star gazing: Drag a monster amount of cushions and pillow to the local park on a clear night. Lay out a massive bed and lie down, just staring at the sky. I mean, if there is ever a time to imagine drifting in space on a cloud, it’s with the person that you love. You can point at the constellations and spout romantic crap about the stars too, if you really want to impress.
4) A.R.K: Acts of Random Kindness. A weird idea, but sweet and lets her now that you’re a great, genuinely caring person. Think of random ideas, maybe handing a labourer an icy drink or buying some soup for a homeless man. Selflessness is often extremely attractive and might actually get you in the same league in her eyes as the caped crusaders around the city.
5) Yard Sales: Map out a day of yard sales and flea markets. Buy random crap for each other, stuff that’ll probably be old or odd but have sentiment. Gifts like an old Buddha statues are different from the same necklaces and bracelets, a good thing to plenty of girls because they’re quirky and sweet. Unfortunate disadvantage is perhaps the fact you’ll have to disinfect most of the stuff you buy, but it’s all dirt cheap. Literally.